I”ve been seeing dishclothes everywhere! On all the blogs. Mostly the Mason-Dixon style washrags which I guess are properly known as ‘ballband dishclothes’. I wanted to make my own so I tried dyeing cotton with coffee which made my ecru yarn into light tan and was not convincingly colorfast. In the end I wandered to the craft store to pick up these
which were right next to these:
which I had to take home with me. Then I found a calligraphy pen and ink to address my wedding invitations which hopefully arrive Friday so I can address them over the weekend and pretend that people will get them 6 weeks before the wedding.
Then I made the dishcloth with the free pattern I found here where it’s called ‘textured slip stitch’.
The back isn’t anything special but before I found a pattern for this, I wanted to know what the back looked like to see if I could figure it out on my own.
I wanted to post something more interesting than moving and unpacking when I realized I had pictures of my grape koolaid hat I’d never blogged about. I dyed this yarn with the fruit loop yarn in the end of December and made a hat.
I started with this:
added some koolaid,
and got this:
First, I made a 6 x 70 inch skein using the warp board Mr. T’s dad made me. I first saw such a warp board during one of my many google searches for dyeing stripes. Ysolda, along with Eunny described how to dye yarn in stripes. I also used yarns to dye for which I got for christmas to go with the warp board and the bare wool. To decide the length of the skein, I started knitting a hat out of the bare peruvian wool and then I unraveled it and measured to figure out that the average length of yarn I used for each row was 70 inches. My warp board was 35 inches wide so that wrapping the yarn from the left to the right and back to the left would be 70 inches. I wrapped exactly how Ysolda described in her warp board tutorial (click on the link above).
Next I decided what stripe pattern I wanted. The way I wrapped the yarn doesn’t give a long circular skein, it gives a long skein with two ends which is why the blue stripes frame the dark purple stripes even though I dyed equal lengths (2 x 70 or 140 inches) with each of the three colors.
Dark Purple: 3 packets grape and a pinch of tropical punch
Light Purple: < 1/2 packet grape
Light blue/purple: 1 packet ice blue lemonade and 1/2 packet grape.
Then I mixed the koolaid with minimal water in guinness pint glasses which hold more yarn than normal pint glasses because the top half is much wider than the bottom half (I dyed 100 grams in 3 pint glasses so ~34 grams each glass). I stuffed each section of wet yarn into the appropriate pint glass, put all the pint glasses into a pyrex pie pan, and stuffed the whole contraption into my microwave. I was impatient. I microwaved for a few minutes until everything was warm, waited for the yarn to cool, rinsed it, and let it dry. I mostly used the knitty tutorial for kool-aid dyeing although I modified it by using the pint glasses to dye all three colors at once.
I just realized I only have a 50 gram ball to get through before I allow myself to dye more yarn. I think this might be a good time to try finger-to-cuff mittens with a figure 8 caston. I’m scared to try a figure 8 caston with sock yarn until I’ve practiced.
The internet is back! I moved my desk and computer along with everything else last Saturday but couldn’t get RoadRunner hooked up until today. I think my unpacking progress is diminishing rapidly now that I can surf the web. I convinced myself that I was doing chores since I had to change my address but then I started catching up on blogs…
Our house is old and at one time was converted into 2 apartments and then converted back. The conversion explains why we have 2 full baths (yay!) and is responsible for the one moving casulty. I present ‘the boxspring’:
yup. the boxspring (queen) wouldn’t make it up the stairs so it’s outside thinking about what it’s done. I’m inside researching split boxsprings and beds that don’t require boxsprings.
I know where all my knitting needles and yarn are but it seems more important to weed, vacuum, and unpack. I am currently fighting with a stranded 2-color hat because I’ve run out of my main color and didn’t have a backup plan for finishing.
I have to apologize – there will not be much knitting here for a while but I am going to show lots of pictures of the whole moving and nesting process. It’s very exciting to arrange furniture and find little decorations for all my cute built-in shelves; I might even be enjoying yardwork.
Mr. T and I got this today! It has sucked up lots of time already and is anticipated to require even more of our time in the future. We love it and are so excited to be done with apartments and landlords.
on the knitting front, I haven’t had as much time – the beautiful weather is luring me outside to run around and bike. I still carry print o the waves around in my knitting bag and I’m working on some stranded colorwork. I found out that I can’t knit ‘normal’ with the colorwork – some of the stitches get lost behind other stitches. I switched back to twisted stitches and everything looks great.