Monthly Archives: June 2007

bicycle hat, part 2

I’ve had a couple comments requesting the bike chart I used for Mr. T’s bicycle hat so I figured out how to format it as a pdf and upload it to the blog.

Enjoy using the chart for bicycle hats or anything else. For a hat, I’d recommend sport or fingering weight yarn. Definitely check gauge because the double knitting ended up much looser than I’d expected.

bike chart

Click on the link above to open an Adobe pdf file containing the bike chart. This chart is free – please be nice 🙂

p.s. Mr. T got the iPhone today. We went to the AT&T store which was a huge mistake. There were only 25-30 people in front of us when we got there at 5:30 and a friend mentioned there were over 100 people at the Apple store so we stayed at AT&T. We waited….and waited…and waited. Our friend called back around 6:30 to brag about his new iPhone – he’d had dinner, gone back to the Apple store which miraculously had no line, and picked up his new phone. We continued to wait because how long could the 10 people in front of us really take……We didn’t get the phone until 7:30. After many hours of waiting, AT&T got half his number away from Verizon so he can turn on and play with the phone now but cannot receive calls. It seems very very cool and I can’t wait to order another for me and get that activated. The map feature is going to encourage spontaneous route changing and help us find restaurants and bike shops on our tandem bicycle honeymoon in just 2 weeks!


grape koolaid mittens

I finished these a week or two ago and took a picture with my usual speed. Then the internet went down 😦 so instead of posting, I watched a couple episodes of 24. Mr. T and I are halfway through disc 5 of season two (there are 4 episodes per disc, 24 episodes per season). We’ve been steadily watching 8 episodes per week which isn’t actually as guilt-inducing as I’d feared.

I have some sock yarn stashed away for a very long time. I posted about it before but still haven’t done anything useful. Reasons include: 1) I was stressed with school, 2) I hate my 5″ bamboo needles with a passion even though I have all the sock sizes 3) I convinced myself I couldn’t make jaywalkers in self-patterning fair isle sock yarn which is ironically all that I have, and 4) I didn’t know how that toe up stuff worked and didn’t want to learn it with 9 stitches per inch.

With my leftover grape koolaid yarn, I made top down mittens instead to ‘practice’ the figure 8 cast on using directions from knitty. I’ve made many a pair of mittens with wool ease on size 8 (5mm) needles using the numbers in Ann Budd’s book so I know that 40 stitches in worsted weight yarn fits my hand. I found out however, that 40 stitches twisted is much tighter than 40 stitches untwisted so my mittens are much roomier than normal which is actually preferable.

I don’t actually remember how many figure 8 loops I started with – I think I ended up with 12 on one mitten and 14 or 16 on the other (should have taken better notes huh). I used magic loop for this because dpns really stressed the joins since I was only using two needles. I knit in the round for 1 row then started increasing. I increased on the sides with M1L, k2, M1R (or the reverse…can’t remember) pretty much every row until I had 40 stitches.
IMG_3697 IMG_3710
I really love the shape of the mitten top with the shaped increases on the sides (and they fit comfortably)

For the extra thumb stitches, I used the figure 8 caston with my working yarn – when I tightened the loops at the end, I worked the extra yarn towards one side and used it to secure the hole between the thumb and hand. Here I used SSK and K2Tog decreases to make the thumb gusset. I also decreased a couple times on the opposite side since the mittens were way too roomy for my wrists. I was down to 32 stitches at the end which was perfect with a 2×2 rib.

next time: I’ll dye more yarn, write down how I actually make them even though it’s fun to reinvent the wheel, and find a stretchier bindoff for the wrists.  Maybe then, I can have matching mittens.

the rock wall

When we moved in, our backyard fence had a hole making our yard continuous with the parking lot of some small businesses. Mr. T took a bunch of the rocks that were lying around the yard, piled them behind the garage, and made a rock wall.IMG_3518 IMG_3517

Although the rock wall was very pretty, I was still a bit concerned about strangers wandering into our yard from the commercial district. Mr. T went to home depot with his dad and fixed the fence!


I’ve been knitting some (finished some top down mittens in the grape koolaid colorway) but I haven’t taken many pictures because I can’t find the camera. Here’s a picture I took a while back of the first thing I knit in college (it inspired the koigu sweater).


A huge group was knitting in the tv lounge in my dorm and while I mostly crocheted or made macrame bracelets in college, I knew I could knit too. I don’t think I’d touched knitting needles since elementary school except briefly in high school when I tried to knit a sweater – I made about 1/3 of the back before giving up which is good because there is no way I had enough yarn for a sweater. Anyway, everyone was making super oversized garter stitch scarves from acrylic yarn and when I went home for winter break, I skimmed through my sister’s copy of the reader’s digest needlework book and found this awesome cable pattern. I was going to make it a scarf but a) the edges curled b) I got bored and c) there wasn’t enough yarn for a scarf. And yes, I’m pretty sure the yarn was acrylic but I found it in my stash and it was actually soft.