I finished these a week or two ago and took a picture with my usual speed. Then the internet went down 😦 so instead of posting, I watched a couple episodes of 24. Mr. T and I are halfway through disc 5 of season two (there are 4 episodes per disc, 24 episodes per season). We’ve been steadily watching 8 episodes per week which isn’t actually as guilt-inducing as I’d feared.
I have some sock yarn stashed away for a very long time. I posted about it before but still haven’t done anything useful. Reasons include: 1) I was stressed with school, 2) I hate my 5″ bamboo needles with a passion even though I have all the sock sizes 3) I convinced myself I couldn’t make jaywalkers in self-patterning fair isle sock yarn which is ironically all that I have, and 4) I didn’t know how that toe up stuff worked and didn’t want to learn it with 9 stitches per inch.
With my leftover grape koolaid yarn, I made top down mittens instead to ‘practice’ the figure 8 cast on using directions from knitty. I’ve made many a pair of mittens with wool ease on size 8 (5mm) needles using the numbers in Ann Budd’s book so I know that 40 stitches in worsted weight yarn fits my hand. I found out however, that 40 stitches twisted is much tighter than 40 stitches untwisted so my mittens are much roomier than normal which is actually preferable.
I don’t actually remember how many figure 8 loops I started with – I think I ended up with 12 on one mitten and 14 or 16 on the other (should have taken better notes huh). I used magic loop for this because dpns really stressed the joins since I was only using two needles. I knit in the round for 1 row then started increasing. I increased on the sides with M1L, k2, M1R (or the reverse…can’t remember) pretty much every row until I had 40 stitches.
I really love the shape of the mitten top with the shaped increases on the sides (and they fit comfortably)
For the extra thumb stitches, I used the figure 8 caston with my working yarn – when I tightened the loops at the end, I worked the extra yarn towards one side and used it to secure the hole between the thumb and hand. Here I used SSK and K2Tog decreases to make the thumb gusset. I also decreased a couple times on the opposite side since the mittens were way too roomy for my wrists. I was down to 32 stitches at the end which was perfect with a 2×2 rib.
next time: I’ll dye more yarn, write down how I actually make them even though it’s fun to reinvent the wheel, and find a stretchier bindoff for the wrists. Maybe then, I can have matching mittens.