Category Archives: mittens

fabulous fetching

Where has the time gone? I got lost in the time vortex of school and holidays. Here is the lastest addition to Christmas knitting! Fetching with half fingers:



Pattern: Fetching (but I modified it some)
Yarn: Knitpicks Merino Style (slightly more than one 50 gram ball per pair)
Needles: size 5 (3.75mm) 5″ dpns
Modifications: With the yarn change and the small hands of the recipients, I knit these with 40 stitches and I added the fingers using the instructions in Ann Budd’s pattern book. I cast off the fingers when they reached my knuckle (guessing my hands are about the same length as the recipients’ ;-).

The white mittens have a braided cable pattern that’s probably in a stitch dictionary somewhere but I fiddled it out at a knitting guild meeting (Candace Eisner Strick was talking that night – it was a special treat to sit and knit and fondle her designs – she even bicycles every morning 🙂 Wish I was dedicated enough to bike every morning. So for the braided cable mittens, I cast on 40 stitches but ribbed in a K3 P1 pattern (instead of the K4 P1 used in the Fetching pattern). Here’s the cable pattern:

round 1 *P1, K3*, repeat until end of round
round 2 *P1 C2L K1*, repeat until end of round
round 3 *P1 K1 C2R*, repeat until end of round

repeat rounds 2 and 3 until the cabling is tall enough (for the cuff, I did 5 repeats so I had 5 cables crossing left and 5 crossing right over 10 rounds)

C2L and C2R are standard abbreviations but confused me a bunch when I first saw them. The C means ‘cable’ the 2 is the number of stitches involved and the L or R means which direction the top stitch crosses the bottom stitch.
C2L means the first stitch is crossed left in front of the second stitch
C2R means the second stitch is crossed right in front of the first stitch or the first stitch is crossed left in back of the second stitch

So C4L (found in the fetching pattern as C4F) means that 4 stitches are manipulated but 2 are crossed left in front of the other 2 which cross right in back. I like to take deep breaths when I read cable patterns – I think charts are definitely the way to go when it gets more complicated.

And I’m so behind that I haven’t shown my one Thanksgiving picture. I got to spend it with my husbands’ family (sadly I forgot to get my camera out of my bag) and my family. My mom decorated the tables beautifully – here’s a picture of one of them

Until next time…school, the Tobey dog, Christmas knitting, and the dining room table project are calling

Can you see Tobey’s paws crossed over one another? I could watch him sleep all day.

Advertisements

grape koolaid mittens

I finished these a week or two ago and took a picture with my usual speed. Then the internet went down 😦 so instead of posting, I watched a couple episodes of 24. Mr. T and I are halfway through disc 5 of season two (there are 4 episodes per disc, 24 episodes per season). We’ve been steadily watching 8 episodes per week which isn’t actually as guilt-inducing as I’d feared.

I have some sock yarn stashed away for a very long time. I posted about it before but still haven’t done anything useful. Reasons include: 1) I was stressed with school, 2) I hate my 5″ bamboo needles with a passion even though I have all the sock sizes 3) I convinced myself I couldn’t make jaywalkers in self-patterning fair isle sock yarn which is ironically all that I have, and 4) I didn’t know how that toe up stuff worked and didn’t want to learn it with 9 stitches per inch.

With my leftover grape koolaid yarn, I made top down mittens instead to ‘practice’ the figure 8 cast on using directions from knitty. I’ve made many a pair of mittens with wool ease on size 8 (5mm) needles using the numbers in Ann Budd’s book so I know that 40 stitches in worsted weight yarn fits my hand. I found out however, that 40 stitches twisted is much tighter than 40 stitches untwisted so my mittens are much roomier than normal which is actually preferable.

IMG_3696
I don’t actually remember how many figure 8 loops I started with – I think I ended up with 12 on one mitten and 14 or 16 on the other (should have taken better notes huh). I used magic loop for this because dpns really stressed the joins since I was only using two needles. I knit in the round for 1 row then started increasing. I increased on the sides with M1L, k2, M1R (or the reverse…can’t remember) pretty much every row until I had 40 stitches.
IMG_3697 IMG_3710
I really love the shape of the mitten top with the shaped increases on the sides (and they fit comfortably)

For the extra thumb stitches, I used the figure 8 caston with my working yarn – when I tightened the loops at the end, I worked the extra yarn towards one side and used it to secure the hole between the thumb and hand. Here I used SSK and K2Tog decreases to make the thumb gusset. I also decreased a couple times on the opposite side since the mittens were way too roomy for my wrists. I was down to 32 stitches at the end which was perfect with a 2×2 rib.
IMG_3703

next time: I’ll dye more yarn, write down how I actually make them even though it’s fun to reinvent the wheel, and find a stretchier bindoff for the wrists.  Maybe then, I can have matching mittens.